Friday, May 19, 2006

Dan The Swing Out Man

My friend Dan who I met last year at a swing dance and swings me out better than any other lead I have ever danced with has been diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy). They are speaking to him as if he will soon, very soon, be bound to a wheelchair. For now, he is trying to live his life as best he can considering he must avoid things like stairs at all costs.

This has come out of nowhere. It puts all my pain, all my struggles into perspective. I imagine, with all my complaining, about waking up one day and my challenge that day isn't just to not think of Jordan with another girl, but to simply walk across the room. I take this time, here and now, to thank the Universal One for my health, my wellbeing, my fingers, my toes, my lovely arms and strong legs. It makes dealing with my stupid bites (or whatever they are) with a grain of salt. If itchy bites are the worst of it for me, then I am doin' okay.

Looks like my weekend is going to fill up with lots of plans with lots of friends. After one comes out of the hibernation of coupling, they remember just how much of a social life they had before they fell in love. I am thankful, too, for my friends.

Thankfully thankful, I send this blessed energy to you, Dan.

Hold on. Let Go. Believe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Thanks for the kind words Krista.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but SMA is the probable diagnosis based on their tests so far, and that's what they are basing their prognosis on.

I submitted a blood sample over 3 weeks ago which will confirm the defective gene or not. I'm hoping the test results come back okay and this is something else that I can overcome. There is no family history of anything like what I'm experiencing, which makes it hard to believe that I have a genetic disease.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home